Monday, February 23, 2015

#Funnynotfunny

Dear Jake,

I was going to record myself doing a stand-up routine, but I realize that I'm not funny.  Well, I don't think other people really think I'm funny.  I think I'm funny, but generally, I don't think other people think I'm funny.

Stand-up would be hard.  Really hard.  Also, really risky.  I admire comics.  I think I could do it if I were a stoner or a drunk.  Unfortunately I don't have the time or money or lack of sense to be a stoner or a drunk so I can't write funny jokes born out of my altered way of seeing the world.

You always make me feel funny because you laugh at things that I say.  I think that it's really nice that you do that for people.  Your laugh always feels genuine.

I have always enjoyed that you can see the funny in everything.  Remember the act Ken Davis did called "Reasons for Joy"?  I know you remember it because we pretty much memorized the whole thing.  The truth that funny surrounds us and is everywhere is a good lesson.  You are able to see the funny where others don't always see it.  You also genuinely enjoy the funny where others hold themselves back.

This is funny.  I'm sitting in my office right now with the door open.  I just farted really loudly because there isn't anyone here and I figured I could.  I just realized, however, that there are in fact two people working on something on the computer only 10 feet from my office.  You see, there is never anyone in the office at this time, accept for THIS time.  I figure one of three things.  Either they heard it and are secretly chuckling behind my back.  They heard it and are awkwardly ignoring the fact that it happened.  They heard it but assume that my desk or chair is creaky.  The best part is that in a minute I'm going to have to walk right past them.  I hope it's awkward.

See, that's why people don't think I'm funny.  I dig the awkward.  I am usually fairly comfortable in awkward situations.  Most people don't.  I find a lot of funny when people are squirming for some reason.  That's why one of my favorite things to do is troll facebook.  I think I'm funny.  Most people probably don't.  That's okay with me. 

But I can't be a stand-up comic.

I think Tim Hawkins is funny.  Here, watch him a minute.  He's coming to the quad cities and I would like to go.




What about you?  Who is your favorite comic?  What is your favorite routine?  Can you link to a video of it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment