Monday, January 12, 2015

Sit in Disposition

Dear Jake,

     I am not your normal worship leader.  I don't wear plaid (often), I can't grow a beard for the life of me, Starbucks is way too expensive, and I wear torn jean UNironically.  Do you remember Smokey Row?  Now THAT was a coffee house.  Talk about atmosphere.
     I have a secret.  On the rare chance that I get to go somewhere and just worship without actually leading, I almost never raise my hands.  It's not like I never do, but it's not a natural thing for me.  I wouldn't dream of telling people that raising their hands in worship is in any way more glorifying to God.  Nor would I ever say that you need to do exactly what you're singing.  I do encourage people to raise their hands, clap, move, dance, etc... though.  I'm not good at doing it.  Most people aren't.  I do think that it has some importance though.
     I think our culture has devalued the importance of posture.  Remember when we were kids and we would bow our heads, fold our hands, and close our eyes when we prayed?   I don't know about you, but when I learned that God still heard my prayers even if my eyes were open I felt scandalized.  The first time I prayed with my eyes open I felt like I had just gotten away with stealing candy from Jake's Supermarket.
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days
  It's important to be able to pray with your head up and eyes open and hand free.  I would have crashed my car a million times over and run into quite a few trees while walking if I bowed my head all the time.  Yet, I still think that it is good to stop what you are doing, fold your hands, bow your head, close your eyes, and pray every once in awhile.  That posture puts you in a position of humility and the act of taking that posture reminds you that God is one who deserves our attention, our praise, we are inferior to Him, we submit to Him, and He is Lord, not us.
     Posture during worship is important as well.  Think of raising your hands as reminding yourself that you surrender to Him.  Maybe it reminds you that you are a child that just needs to be picked up by your Father in heaven.  Maybe your hands are in front of you and open upwards in a position of receiving as if you are receiving a blessing from Him.
     You can worship with your arms crossed, in your pockets, while eating a burrito from Taco Bell, or pretty much anywhere/way.  Sometimes it's good to stop, lift your arms, and remind yourself who is deserving of the praise.
     I think our culture has devalued a lot of things.  Language being one of them.  C.S. Lewis talks about how some words really lose their meaning because we start to use them too freely.  What are some other things that you see our culture really moving away from or "devaluing" that maybe we should be careful of or at least aware of?

2 comments:

  1. You stole candy from Jake's Supermarket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should clarify. Never at any point did I steal candy from Jake's Supermarket. In my prepubescent mind however, stealing anything from anywhere was the absolute worst sin one could commit. That is where the analogy comes into play. Praying with one's eyes open "felt" like what I "imagined" stealing from Jake's Supermarket would be like.

      Delete