Monday, March 16, 2015

The Joely Awards

Dear Jake,

Welcome to the Joely awards.  Joel's own personal music award show where winners are determined exclusively by Joel's own personal opinion.  This will undoubtedly lead to becoming a real thing soon.

Favorite Song of 2014: Car Radio by 21 Pilots

Favorite Band of 2014: The City Harmonic

Favorite Secular Song of 2014: Wake Me Up by Avicii (it's a dumb video...)

Favorite Artist of 2014: LeCrae
Lemme explain this one.  I'm a fan of his music, but I have to get into a mindset for it.  It is deeper and more raw than anything else I listen to.  I have so much respect for this artist.  He is diving head first into places that Christians have stayed away from because we so often want to choose out of things that make us uncomfortable like art and science.    I have no specific video of his.  All of it is relevant.

I realize you didn't ask me for any of these opinions.  That's okay.  I'll talk about instruments now.

Most Important Instrument:
The piano is very difficult to master, not really portable, and can slip out of tune pretty easily.  I love the piano though.  I mean I love it.  If you are able to learn to play the piano sufficiently, you will have learned the foundations of how music works.  This means that you should be able to pick up most instruments and become sufficient with them with a little practice.  Not only that, but you can begin to write music for every western musical style under the sun.  Piano is so important to western civilization and culture.  If you want to learn an instrument, start here.

Most Convenient Instrument:
The 6 string acoustic guitar is the most convenient instrument.  You can take it almost anywhere and provide people with a rhythm and chord structure to which you can sing about any song to.  There are a million different ways to play a guitar and it isn't too terribly difficult to learn.

Most Desirable Instrument:
To play the cello is to complete a lifelong dream.  It has a beautiful tone and very wide range and good players can make it convince you of all sorts of moods.  Cellos are expensive which is the number one reason I've not learned to play it.

There you have it.

I've thought a lot about writing a story.  I want to write a fiction novel sometime in my life.  I don't really have any ideas for you though.  Maybe write a "memoir" from the perspective of Simon Peter. That'd be cool.  I'd read it.

Sincerely,
Joel



The guitar is so incredibly handy

0 comments:

Post a Comment