Monday, March 23, 2015

Birthday Boy

Dear Jake,

Today is your birthday.  I'm not sure you knew that.  So I want to take a moment to wish you a very happy birthday.  It seems as you get older that fewer people care that you are a year older.  I think it is because nobody really does care that you are a year older.  But I do Jake.  I do.  I'm thankful that you were born 31 years ago.

I've got a million memories that you are a part of.  Here are just a few.

I remember doing a "radio show" on your Talk Boy when we were sitting in the car on the way to the College World Series in Omaha.  We had it recording slowly so that when played back we sounded like chipmunks.  Dad sang the Mutual of Omaha jingle on our radio show and we laughed pretty hard.  I wonder where that tape is.  I think it would be a blast to hear that again.

I remember biking around our town and collecting pop cans so that we could get a fountain drink at The Candy Kitchen.

I remember hiking way up Mud Creek with Steven Brown.  We went through mud that was up to our wastes.  Then Steven and I thought we'd float back on a raft which was really a truck topper.  We got in it and it started floating and you were on the bank yelling at us to stop.  When we both stepped over to grab a overhanging branch to stop ourselves, the topper sank.  Then we made up a lie about falling in so that we wouldn't get in trouble.  You didn't rat us out.  You were nice.

I remember playing home run derby using tennis balls and racquets.  The home run was over power lines.

I remember having Bert and Ernie as puppets.  We slept in a lofted bed and the puppet's limbs were pretty floppy.  We'd make them fall off the bed and laugh at how they landed.

I remember saving your life from a shark bite in California.  Or maybe it was a broken soap dish in the shower.  I'm not sure.

I remember doing the "I Love My Lips" skit with you at school.

I remember exploring Spring Valley while mom mowed.

I have a lot more memories involving you.  You are a pretty great brother.  Happy birthday Jake.  I hope you have a great year.

So for your blog on Thursday I want you to do something.  I had you write a haiku and it went really well.  This time I want you to create a piece of art that represents your home town.  On your blog I want you to either do a video that explains your work and why you did what you did or do some pictures of it and write about it.

That might be a tall order so if it doesn't work, write about something different, BUT at least keep it in your back pocket and do a post completing that challenge when you can.

Sincerely,
Joel Rohde

1 comment:

  1. For some silly reason this post made me cry. I'll let you in on a little secret, I love all you boys so much. In my mind (now that I'm old) you guys were pretty near perfect. I know that's not true, but dealing with life now, it sure seems like it. I wish I were better at celebrating birthdays, but I suck at it. Just know, that I remember each one. I think about you all so much and love you so much it hurts. Sorry for the ramble. I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete