Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Jake Rohde Haiku Collection

Dear Joel,

I am no poet, and I am no comedian. I hope that these do not represent the "funniest" poems of which I'm capable. However, I actually had a blast writing these, so thanks for the assignment.

A funny haiku
for your amusement and joy
Insert punchline here.

You'll quickly realize that some of these are very personal reflections, and that they clearly illustrate how I see the world.

He was without doubt
The dumbest human ever
JUST USE YOUR BLINKER!

Given the hype, I'm not sure the next one is even accurate this year, but it's still funny in my mind.

A new season starts
Everyone has cause for hope
Except for the Cubs

The next one represents a sincere letter from me to you.

Our disagreements
Should not cause strife between us
The dress was blue, black

I looked at the forecast for next week and got excited.

Spring is coming soon
Warm weather makes me happy
But not too warm, please

My brief comments here are largely inserted so that no one thinks that one poem followed by another poem is actually a single poem.

"Go home!" the man yelled
But the runner was thrown out
Bad choice; Series lost

You like bad jokes, right? Here you go.

Each morning at nine
I greet my poetic friend
By saying, "Hi, Ku."

Next we'll re-visit a popular topic from my daily life.

In my opinion
I'm a wonderful driver
Why do others suck?

I hesitated to post this one after writing it. Weird and random, even in my own mind.

The difference between
Three legs and four on a stool
Is only one leg

Here's a haiku inspired by one of my favorite scenes in the Dudley Moore movie, Arthur.

I cannot tell you
Her last name, for that would be
Indiscreet. Johnson.

And finally...

Unbreakable rules
Govern poetry writing
Unless you have more than seven syllables' worth of things to say

So there you have it. Probably 98% of the haikus I've written in my life (I may have had to write 1 or 2 in a high school composition class. I'd love to hear your opinion - do you like any of them? Do you have a favorite?

But my real question is who's your favorite poet? Do you have a favorite poem? What do you like and dislike about poetry?

Publishers - please post a comment below and I will get back to you personally. I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to offer me a contract for a book of poetry.

3 comments:

  1. The 7th one was my favorite! Made me laugh out loud. :) I also like #1, 4, and 11. Nice work, babe. And good assignment, Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all, but my favorite is the one with the stool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Elizabeth. The seventh one was hilarious. Honestly, these are all pretty brilliant. When I requested Haiku I honestly thought maybe that was a little too cheesy. Way to make it work!

    ReplyDelete