Thursday, April 16, 2015

What is it About Catchers?

Dear Joel,

My guess is that many of the people you hear on ESPN complaining about the need to speed up the game of baseball are the same people who fully support the increased use of instant replay. I don't know how I feel about the necessity of "speeding up" baseball. I would probably support some measures that are aimed at making it go a little more quickly. The players today who spend 45 seconds between every pitch in order to adjust their batting gloves certainly don't need that extra time. They abuse the clock-free, deliberate pace of baseball. But I'm not sure what those measures would be. I hate the idea of introducing a clock to any aspect of the game. That's one of the key features of baseball's greatness, and a big piece of what differentiates it from other popular sports.

do, however, know where I stand on the use of instant replay. And I think it's terrible. I'd love to write a lengthy post on why it's terrible, but I feel like I'd be preaching to the choir.

So instead, I'll answer your other questions. If I had a bajillion dollars, I would absolutely buy a baseball team. Then I'd hire John Mozeliak, Tony La Russa, Theo Epstein, Bruce Bochy and Mike Matheny to all coach/run my team (you said a bajillion dollars, right?). You'll notice that I'm partial to the NL Central, and guys who used to be catchers. I'd also keep Jose Oquendo on as my team's third base coach - another former catcher (you'll also notice that in my hypothetical team-buying thought experiment, I bought the Cardinals).

Don't worry. I'd also hire you to do something on my team. What would you want to do? You and your family can have complimentary season tickets too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment