Thursday, April 9, 2015

C'mon, Patrick!

Dear Joel,

Thanks for posting those YouTube channels! I checked out every single one you linked to (I didn't get to all the ones you listed at the bottom). Very interesting stuff. If I had to choose a couple, I would say Smarter Every Day and CGP Grey were my favorites from your list.

I hope I don't disappoint with the videos below. You said you're looking for "viral" videos, and while many of my favorites probably are, I also tend toward videos that probably aren't quite as universally popular.

Here's a segment from Jimmy Kimmel Live that still makes me laugh every time I watch it.


There's a channel called Lutheran Satire and they've made a few videos featuring a couple of cynical Irish guys having conversations with various figures. Here's the first one I ever watched, in which Donall and Conall call out St. Patrick himself for his failed use of analogy to try to explain the Trinity. It's hilarious.


Just yesterday I saw another one of these where Donall and Conall engage with noted atheist Richard Dawkins. Also hilarious. The fact that these two guys call everyone "Patrick" is absurdly funny to me too (make sure you stick around through the credits).


I've also got a favorites list on YouTube with some videos I consider to be of the "inspirational" sort, and my favorites of those are Benjamin Zander's TED talk:


And Taylor Mali's poem, What Teachers Make:


Here's a quick list of other YouTube videos I've enjoyed. I'll provide links but not embedded videos.

From the Music category:
What Does the Fox Say? (more funny to me than it should be)
Stonehenge (by the same guys - also funny, but a little NSFW)
The Man Song (don't watch the video - it's a creepy puppet - but listen to the song)
Dumb Ways to Die (best PSA ever)
Counting Song (it's got a great surprise ending)
Epic Rap Battle of Manliness (2nd favorite from Rhett and Link)
I am a Thoughtful Guy (1st favorite from Rhett and Link)

From the Sports category:
Men's 4x100m Freestyle Relay - 2008 Beijing Olympics (I still watch this at least once a year, and I still tear up. It's one of the greatest athletic performances I think I've witnessed in my lifetime.)
World Series Game 6, October 27, 2011 (Yep, this is available on YouTube. As a Cardinals fan, I'm biased, but this is definitely one of the great World Series games that's happened in my lifetime.)

Two for the Road:
The Butterfly Circus (If you haven't seen this short film yet, do it.)
Ozymandias (Bryan Cranston reading the famous Shelley poem gives me chills. This video was a promo for the third-to-last Breaking Bad episode, but you don't have to be a BB fan to recognize the beauty of Shelley's poem, or the talent of Cranston.)

I also watch a bunch of clips of various Milton Friedman lectures. Videos of him are how I learned a little something about economics (any non-conservative reading this will surely say that I therefore have still not learned anything about economics). I don't know if my favorites fit the bill if you're looking for a consensus list of "viral" videos, but I find them entertaining.

Baseball season started this week. What did you do to celebrate? Do you have expectations or predictions? Do you have plans to make it to the ballpark at all this year (River Bandits? White Sox? Giants? Anywhere else?)?

0 comments:

Post a Comment