Monday, February 2, 2015

Mole Hills and One Giant Mountain

Dear Jake,

I was sitting by my wife the other night when she read your letter.  When she got to the end and read your question to me, she rolled her eyes and groaned.  Maybe I rant too much.  I don't know.

I've been thinking all week about what to write.  Initially I thought it might be easy to come up with something to complain about, but when you stop and think about what you are complaining about, often you come to the conclusion that maybe it's not as big a deal to the rest of the world as it is to you and maybe, just maybe, you should just shove it.

There are many things that really get me steamed up.  I get annoyed by things like couples who sit on the same side of the booth when there is no one on the other side, parents who bring their young kids to R rated films, going through the drive thru and having to go back when they screw your order up, Beats Headphones, people who argue that Beats are in fact such high quality it merits spending ridiculous amounts of money, when my kids misplace my stuff, when I misplace my stuff, people that call their pets their kids, when someone complains to someone else about something you've done, facebook posts that don't use correct grammar or punctuation or that purposefully misspell things, when you can't tell if someone is male of female and they want it that way, and tons more that I just don't have the time to list.

I could rant on any of that (especially the Beats one) and probably make a pretty decent argument about how right I am about feeling that way.  In the end though, it probably isn't worth the time.  

There is at least one thing, however, that I think is worth the time. I hate.  I mean HATE that America is killing babies in utero.  That one is worth the words.  I hate it.  I hate that our government supports it, in fact encourages it.  I hate that our society embraces it and defends it.  I hate that humanity has been so deceived that we see any argument against it as being selfish and misogynistic.  I am not going to make an argument here though.  I'll let Matt Chandler do that. 



I try to keep an open mind when I talk about things with people who disagree with me.  On many things, maybe even most things, I've heard good arguments that, though I disagree and think they are wrong, I can at least see logical connections being made.  I can't see anything logical about the pro-choice movement and yet it is gaining ground in massive ways.

Have you ever heard a logical argument in favor of abortion?   What is another sociopolitical movement that is gaining ground, yet completely illogical?  Are there any?  What are they?  How important is it that you work to change the trends?  How would you go about it?

Those are heavy questions.  I look forward to hearing from you on Thursday.

Sincerely,
Joel

0 comments:

Post a Comment