Thursday, August 27, 2015

Is this called having a fetish?

Dear Joel,

In a few hours I'll be on a flight to Connecticut to have an on-site meeting with one of my customers. It's my fourth trip to the same location in the last 12 months. I like traveling, but I've discovered that I don't love it when it's for work. Having said that, I think I'd enjoy traveling for work a little more if I got to visit a different customer now and then.

But enough complaining. You asked for interests of mine that I've picked up since college. I've been racking my brain for a few days now on that question, and I really can't think of much. I still play euchre when I can. I love playing slow pitch softball. I love watching baseball. I think I watch more documentaries now than I did then, but that's largely due to the existence of Netflix.

I still watch The West Wing, though. Because some things never change.

Speaking of TWW, let me ask you a question about that show. In the fourth season there's an episode called Arctic Radar and in it, Josh Lyman explains to a new employee why she can't wear her Star Trek button around the office, even though, as she explains, it symbolizes duty and honor and loyalty and those characteristics should be celebrated at the White House. 

Josh says, "I'm a Star Trek fan. All of them. But here's what I don't do, and tell me if any of this sounds familiar: 'Let's list our ten favorite episodes. Let's list our least favorite episodes. Let's list our favorite galaxies. Let's make a chart to see how often our favorite galaxies appear in our favorite episodes. What Romulan would you most like to see coupled with a Cardassian and why? Let's spend a weekend talking about Romulans falling in love with Cardassians and then let's do it again.' That's not being a fan. That's having a fetish. And I don't have a problem with that, except you can't bring your hobbies in to work, okay?"

I happen to know that there are a lot of people who treat TWW exactly like the "fetish" Josh describes there. I know that because I'm borderline one of them. Do you think the show's writer, Aaron Sorkin, knew that about his own show when he wrote it? And if so, do you think he was trying to send a message to superfans that they shouldn't dwell on it too much? And if so, am I ignoring that message right now?

0 comments:

Post a Comment