Thursday, July 9, 2015

Fictional history is almost as fun as true history

Dear Joel,

My favorite fiction book? How about three? But I'll start with a non-book.

There's a movie which I would guess anyone reading this has seen before. It's called The Princess Bride, and it is (and always has been) my favorite movie. It's hilarious. And wonderful. In the movie, a grandfather reads a book to his sick grandson.

What many people might not know is that The Princess Bride is a real book. And it's even more hilarious than the movie. It was written by William Goldman, and it's excellent.

There's another book I've read many times before that was written by a man we used to go to church with. His name is Dennis Van Wey, and his book is called Twice Upon a Time. It's a fascinating premise in which the main character, Mike, has a friend who travels back in time, and while there, disrupts a particular historical event that eventually leads to the Mike's son dying in a childhood tragedy. Mike decides to travel back in time himself in order to make sure that history happens as it "should" have.

Finally, there's a book of historical fiction by Steven Pressfield called Gates of Fire. I believe it's the book that inspired the graphic novel that inspired the film 300 about the Greek Spartans fighting Xerxes's Persian army at the Battle of Thermopylae. It's probably the best book I've ever read, and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys good literature.

Do you remember when you and I traveled to California together right after you graduated from high school? We visited our relatives all over the state. What fun things do you remember from that trip? What was your favorite part of it?

Have fun on your trip to Colorado!

Sincerely,

Jake

0 comments:

Post a Comment